Globecom JukeboxAn open source MP3 jukebox that is perfect for home,
office or car use. You're probably familiar with MP3 files and perhaps already
have a collection of music in MP3 format that you play on a desktop computer
using Winamp, MusicMatch or similar. So why consider an MP3 jukebox ?
- A Jukebox will place all your MP3 files in a central location. It's easier
to catalog, locate and play the files from a single point of access if you use
a dedicated Jukebox.
- You can put the Jukebox in a closet and run it without a monitor. You can
listen to your music even when your PC is turned off but can still control is
from your PC when you want to.
- You can have a single Jukebox serving music to the entire office or house.
- You can put the Jukebox near the stereo and take the soundcard output
direct to your high quality stereo amp.
- The Jukebox runs on Linux. After your PC running Winamp crashes for the
third time that day, you will appreciate a music system that runs for months
or years without interruption.
Still not convinced ? Here are some more reasons.
Why use Globecom Jukebox
There are plenty of MP3 jukeboxen out there. In no particular order here are
the features of GJukebox and the reason they're significant
- Themable UI : The look of the jukebox is customizable, from the wood
look inspiring this page going through 7 different looks to the text only linx
purist usable mode.
- Uses SQL database : All the information for the Jukebox is stored
in a MySQL database. Other Jukeboxen use proprietary data stores or just rely
on a hierarchy of disk directories to keep all the songs ordered. While it's
true that a SQL database is probably overkill for a Jukebox, it has the
benefit that it's simple to upgrade and future proof. If your playlists etc.
are in a proprietary format you cannot easily switch to a different player. If
your data is in SQL, it's easy to get it out and massage it into a different
format should you ever wish to.
- Sophisticated selection of random songs If no songs are selected by
users the GJukebox will start playing random selections of songs. The
algorithms used to select songs are very sophisticated and are based on how
often a song is requested by users ( ie it's popular ) weighted against how
recently a song was played. The Jukebox learns what you like and and have
heard recently and influences the choices, but not so much that it plays the
same stuff over and over.
- Song groups and playlists Many MP3 players include playlists to
permit a collection of songs to be played as a whole. Plenty go further and
permit the contents of a playlist to be played in random order. GJukebox
improves on this through the use of song groups. When selecting songs at
random, Jukebox can be set to include songs in certain groups exclusively,
non-exclusively or to exclude songs from a group. When organizing your songs
you simply create groups to contain for example, Jazz and Blues. You can then
play just Jazz, just Blues, both or neither ( ie everything else ). Instead of
forcing you to tell the Jukebox explicitly what you want to hear, you can use
the groups to define moods and occasions. It's simple, logical and
- Normalizes volume on tracks CDs are recorded at widely differing
recording levels. Constant volume control twiddling is the bane of life for
MP3 users because the tracks tend to be played in a very random fashion.
Globecom Jukebox analyses the loudness for all MP3 files as they're added to
the Jukebox and calculates a value by which the volume is to be adjusted on
playback. You'll hardly need to touch that volume control.
- Integrated ripper Ripping the entire CD collection is probably the
first thing a new MP3 user does. Globecom makes this simple with the
integrated ripper that includes CDDB lookup to grab the song titles etc. The
ripper is multithreaded so it can encode into MP3 at the same time that it
rips data from the CD.
- Inherently multiuser Song voting through the web UI is simple and
powerful. Different users can have different priorities, they can have their
own playlist queue. Jukebox includes account and password administration. None
of this gets in the way if you want to use Jukebox on your desktop machine,
laptop or a home network. The anonymous user account takes care of these
- Batch import of MP3 files Already have an MP3 collection with tags
inserted ? A script included will import them all into the database quickly
- Supports streaming to a remote IceCast server : Globecom Jukebox
can pipe the songs to the internal soundcard or to an Icecast server elsewhere
on the network, or both. From a single Jukebox you can pump the MP3 data to
different machines so in different rooms you can have individual music sources
with unique song lists.
- Downloading between different Jukeboxen. Have a Jukebox at work,
one in the laptop, and one at home ? No problem to transfer songs between them
using the web UI.
- Written in Perl & PHP Want to change something in the UI ? No
problem - it's written in PHP. It's simple to understand and change. The
daemons that play songs and handle other tasks are written in Perl and are
also easy to modify. Use the source, Luke.